Experience the magic of stand up paddle boarding!
Stand up paddle boarding has become and essential part of my holistic nourishment equation and I highly recommend that you give it a try! Paddleboards are becoming more and more available, so be sure to seek them out at your local body of water, whether it be a river, lake or ocean.
Here are some quick tips to get you started.
1. Pick a calm day. Wind can really make or break the paddle boarding experience. Calm water is definitely the way to go.
2. Get started on a nice big board! A big board will allow you to find your balance much more quickly.
3. Be sure you have a lightweight paddle. A heavy paddle will burn you out fast, whereas a light paddle can make paddle boarding feel effortless and tone your muscles instead of build them.
4. Try on flat water first. A lake or a protected bay in the ocean is a good place to start. If you’re ambitious, you can work up to waves and moving water eventually.
5. Once you launch, begin on your knees and then transition to your feet as you tune into your balance. Find your balance point on the board.
6. Paddle around slowly. Practice turning your board and paddling on each side. Get comfortable with the movement of the water under your board.
7. Try out a couple of simple yoga poses! Downward dog, upward dog, cat cow pose and savasana are some of my favorites. Keep it simple as you get started.
8. Next steps? It’s up to you! You can either stick with flat water paddling or maybe take a paddleboard yoga class. You might even try riding some waves!
Ready to get started with adding balance to your life? It all starts with understanding your unique body. Check out this free guide to start listening to your unique body.